How Can You Tell You’re Connecting?
Yesterday I recorded a video blog on connecting as the number one issue with communication. I gave a few signs that you are connecting. Let me list some more marks of connecting. This list can be found in John Maxwell’s book, Everyone Communicates, Few Connect. I just started the book but this list is helpful in communication:
1. Extra Effort – People become willing to go the extra mile.
2. Unsolicited Appreciation – They say positive things.
3. Unguarded Openness – They demonstrate trust.
4. Increased Communication – They express themselves more readily.
5. Enjoyable Experiences – They feel good about what they’re doing.
6. Emotional Bondedness – They display a connection on an emotional level.
7. Positive Energy – Their emotional “batteries” are charged by being together.
8. Growing Synergy – Their effectiveness is greater than the sum of the contributions.
9. Unconditional Love – They are accepting without reservation.
It doesn’t matter whether you are communicating to a small group or a mega-church, connection is critical if you want the content to change lives! Sadly, I have watched so many try to communicate who gave no concern about connection with their hearers. Far too many just worry about the content and forget connection. I have seen this happen with so many preachers.
Many work diligently in the preparation of the message and never work on connection. This is the reason I removed a large pulpit from the stage. A huge, heavy, wooden pulpit stands between the preacher and the people. We are called to give the message of life, therefore we need to remove any man-made barriers to accomplishing what the Lord wants for us to do.
Are you connecting? Do you prepare to connect? When you are speaking do you attempt to connect? Please do not miss this vital part of communicating.
Just a thought.